True Blue Romance

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is BLUE.

photo

“You have the most beautiful blue eyes I’ve ever seen.”

He was trying to be slick- trying get my attention and be romantic.

But it didn’t work. Not that day, anyway. Not with that line.

But later, other things caught my baby blues and stole my heart…

Choosing to go to work  – even when he didn’t feel like it.

Skipping the game to finish a paper.

The way he loved and treated his mother.

The way he solved problems.

For me, the romance didn’t come from one-liners or a suave personality. It didn’t come from flowers or flattery. It not about an event or a setting.

Romance is the way he made me feel beautiful when I was 35 weeks pregnant.

It’s the offer to fold the last load of laundry and the willingness to share his day.

Romance is insisting that the kids speak to me with respect.

It’s the way he taught the boys to tie a tie and cut the grass.

Romance is the way he teaches the girls about sports and how to dress like a lady.

It’s the way he lives. The way he serves and loves.

Now, that’s romantic.

So, my love, forget the flowers. They die. Never mind the fancy dinners. They don’t last.

Bring on more of you doing life with me. Working, laughing, crying, praying…

That’s the most romantic thing these blue eyes have ever seen.

9 thoughts on “True Blue Romance

1. Anita Ojeda May 28, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Awwww! What a lucky guy you have! And it sounds like he feels that he’s pretty lucky to have you :).

2. Ruthie Gray May 28, 2015 / 9:46 pm

And folding that last load of laundry is pretty darn important! So sweet and fitting!

3. Tara May 28, 2015 / 10:14 pm

Such a sweet post and tribute to your husband! Sounds like you are one lucky lady!

4. Jeanne Takenaka May 28, 2015 / 11:08 pm

I love how you define romance, Karen. My guy is very similar. His version of romance looks a lot like loving me through serving and living his life reflecting Jesus. You are truly a blessed woman!

5. Marie May 28, 2015 / 11:34 pm

This is so great! I love this little glimpse into your heart and life. 🙂

6. Leah Colwell Adams May 29, 2015 / 5:19 am

Oh my goodness, this is the sweetest thing! I love this. Sounds like both of you are incredibly blessed! Stopping by from #FMFparty!

7. samcitty May 29, 2015 / 1:28 pm

I’m not the romantic type, but I love this post!