When You’re Almost Googled Out of a Job

stockvault-laptop-girl104388

We were getting ready for church and I wanted to check in on my middle-school daughter. Lately, she’s had many tearful fashion crises and I was prepared to help her settle on a cute outfit. You know how girls need their moms for stuff like that…

Before I could even knock, she bounced out wearing a scarf, boots, flowy sweater, coordinating jewelry, messy bun…

“Wow, you look great! Love your outfit!” I said, finally making eye-contact. No sign of tears.

“Yeah- I looked on Pinterest and found this look.”

“Great!” Huh.

I headed to the kitchen to finish making breakfast.

When I arrived, the smell of something sweet met me in the doorway.

“Yum. What’s cooking?” I directed the question at my older daughter who was standing near the computer desk.

“Muffins. I found a recipe online.” She continued looking at the screen and mumbled what sounded like “bake 23-25 minutes”.

“Awesome. Thanks for doing that! Big help.”

I walked away with an open block of time and an unsettling feeling that I’m getting Googled out of a job.

In the time that it takes me to switch a load of laundry, my girls can get online and learn all about starting their period or Ten Ways to Get and Keep a Boyfriend.

When I think my boys are doing their homework, Twitter and Instagram can affirm their emotions, justify their behavior, and feed their insatiable appetite for being “liked”.

I’m feeling a bit like a dinosaur…

Oh, you and I know it’s so much more meaningful to interact with and learn from a real person, but I’m not sure my kids believe that.

I admit their Google mom does have a few things on me. She’s always awake, quick to answer, objective, and never emotional or judgy. No questions asked… and no lectures preached. And she has endless information on things I’ve never even thought to learn.

Who can compete with that? More importantly, who’s foolish enough to try?

I need to switch-up my game. I must adjust to the fact that my kids don’t really need me for information. They’ve got more at their fingertips than all the previous generations had in libraries.

As a 2015 Mom, I should spend more time and energy offering what Google can’t.

It’s time to remind my kids that I’ve got a niche in the market and something they need. It’s time to remind myself…

Pinterest can suggest endless outfits, but I’m the only one who can teach my daughters how to like their imperfect bodies. Only I can guide them in exploring what’s behind the insecurity and the tears.

Instagram and Twitter can give my boys entertainment and distraction, but I’m the only one who isn’t desperate to be their friend and doesn’t care if they “like” my status. I can see behind their profiles, ask the hard questions, and show them what it feels like to be really known…  and yet loved.

Google can offer dating advice, but she can’t explain to my kids why breakups hurt so much or why we are all so desperate for attention. I’m the only one who can wrap warm arms around their broken hearts and cry salty tears.

Like every kid in every age, only a real person can teach them about themselves, the world, and their place in it. Only living, breathing souls can show them how to respond when there are no answers. Only real relationships can teach them about being in real relationships… with others and with their God.

Good luck with that, Siri.

So, I’m not afraid to make room for Google Mom and allow her to do what she does best (with supervision and boundaries, of course). Actually, I’m grateful for her service, for it will help me focus on my calling.

But she better know her place. Cause I’ve just been reminded of mine and here’s one thing I know…

…it would blow up the internet.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7

Photo Credit: Elliot Nevills

28 thoughts on “When You’re Almost Googled Out of a Job

1. Kelly Balarie January 6, 2015 / 5:07 am

Ha! Love this! So true. You have your place momma. Google can never wipe tears. I love the encouragement. I will hit this period in the future and I could imagine having feelings just like yours. Thank you for these words.

• Karen Brown January 6, 2015 / 11:07 am

Kelly- Thank you for your kind words and for hosting the linkup. Blessings~

2. Auburn Meadow Farm January 6, 2015 / 5:09 am

So true. I’m sure our moms felt the same way about Seventeen magazine 🙂

3. Leah Adams (@PointMinistries) January 6, 2015 / 7:00 am

What incredible wisdom you offer here! I think the same thing could be said for our husbands and our marriages. Or for any relationship. I adore my online friends, but I don’t need to forget my in-real-life friends either. It is those face to face relationships that are so rich and meaningful. Blessings to you. Stopped in from #RaRalinkup!

• Karen Brown January 6, 2015 / 11:11 am

Leah- I so appreciate you stopping by and leaving your encouraging message. Blessings to you, too!

4. allycarter1 January 6, 2015 / 8:14 am

Aw don’t worry, I’m twenty six and still need to call my mum about certain things, like how to make HER pastry and all kinds of other stuff that comes up being newly married. They will need you for a long time yet x

• Karen Brown January 6, 2015 / 11:12 am

yes! And I need to make sure they KNOW that I have other things to offer… Thank you so much for stopping by!

5. Sharon Johnson January 6, 2015 / 4:10 pm

Great post! Funny, but so true. Our kids are growing up in a completely different world. Try explaining what a wall phone is or a voice message machine…you won’t believe the looks you get! 🙂

6. Sharon Johnson January 6, 2015 / 4:12 pm

Gosh..so true! Great post. I tried to explain to my kids what a wall phone and an answering machine were. You should have seen the looks I got. It’s a different world today. But kids always need their moms!

• Karen Brown January 7, 2015 / 8:52 am

haha! Wall phone… Yes they will always need us, but I need to make sure my kids know that 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

7. Brandi @ penguinsinpink.com January 7, 2015 / 8:46 am

Wow so true. Luckily I’m not at that stage of motherhood yet but it will come. I pray that I remember your words when I get there. Thank you for the encouragement!

8. Kristin Hill Taylor January 7, 2015 / 9:58 am

“Only real relationships can teach them about being in real relationships… with others and with their God.” —> YES! My kids are young enough we aren’t there, but I know my own days of needing to be reminded of this are near. Thanks for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday.

9. Deb Wolf January 7, 2015 / 10:11 am

This is a wonderful post Karen. You’re absolutely right . . . Google can give them lots of information, but “she” will never her give them discernment, love, and the all important mom hug! She will never replace real relationships.

10. Mary Dolan Flaherty January 7, 2015 / 10:15 am

The key word is almost! I admit, your title piqued my curiosity, but it wasn’t at all what I expected! Loved it! My daughter (who is 27, a grown woman, and as such, one that I can no longer “correct”) said a very nasty thing to Siri when she didn’t give her the answers she was looking for, and her retort was, “Well, I never!” We had quite a laugh at that one!

11. Jennifer M. Frisbie January 7, 2015 / 12:34 pm

This sent goosebumps down me, Karen. My oldest daughter is turning 11 on Friday and I, too, feel Googled out of a job. I guess I’d never put a phrase to it like you just did. The latest trend was learning how to crochet on YouTube. While awesome and I commend her for tackling such a feat on her own, I am amazed at how you nailed this. I am enlightened and encouraged all at the same time. Your blog never disappoints. Thank you again for sharing your wisdom. I know this mom truly appreciates it!

• Karen Brown January 8, 2015 / 5:16 am

Jennifer- Thank you so much! You always seem to “get” my message and for that I’m grateful and encouraged. Let’s commit together to making sure our kids know that we have much to offer that can’t be found online… Peace – and happy birthday to your oldest!

12. Asheritah (@asheritah) January 7, 2015 / 2:57 pm

Karen, what a great perspective! I’m a younger mom so I find myself turning to Google rather than my own mother for questions. Your post is helping me think through how those choices may be making her feel. Thanks for the food for thought!

• Karen Brown January 8, 2015 / 5:13 am

Asheritah- Thanks for stopping by. Yes! And with your young kids… make sure you are teaching them things that Google could never offer. 🙂

13. Beth Hess January 7, 2015 / 7:34 pm

Such fun but important words here, Karen. Love the way you give us a break for the ways we’re not as helpful as the Internet some days, but affirm the roles that can never really be replaced.

• Karen Brown January 8, 2015 / 5:12 am

Beth-Thank you! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to write.

14. Deanna January 8, 2015 / 12:37 pm

This —->>>> “As a 2015 Mom, I should spend more time and energy offering what Google can’t.” <<<<—- YES! Thank you for reminding me of this truth without beating me up. 😉 Love your style!

15. sarahgirl3 January 9, 2015 / 3:37 pm

Those days are not too far off for me, so I’m glad you told me ahead of time.
    Thanks for making me laugh and think at the same time. That’s what I like best 🙂

16. jandjcreative2013 January 22, 2015 / 6:36 am

ha Google I regret to say has been my new friend, I didnt really have a mom.so I dont really know about cooking etc homemaking, so Google and Pinterest helps a great deal. but she still needs you because Google doesnt grant custom made info. for example some family recipes secret can only be gotten by way of mom. no subs..if thats any consolation.

• Karen Brown January 22, 2015 / 6:41 am

Thanks so much for reading! Yes! Google is my friend- too, and I want my kids to use it well, also. I do have much to offer that google can’t, but my job is to make sure my kids know what those things are. I appreciate your comment. Truly!

17. Denise January 7, 2016 / 6:06 am

You are a wise woman! I tell my kids all the time about how I had to ride my bike to Buder Library to get that kind of information and all before 5:00 pm. Because that’s when it closed. I guess the librarians wanted to go home and have dinner with their families too.

• Karen Brown January 7, 2016 / 6:13 am

Yes! The old Buder Library! Riding bikes uphill BOTH ways… no shoes…. 🙂
      Thanks for stopping by, Denise!