It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write for five minutes, freely, on a one-word prompt. We write quickly, then post, a flash-mob linking together at Kate Motaung’s site
It’s fun!
This week’s prompt: SHARE

I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love Jesus. I grew up going to church and praying in my bed every night. I’ve spent long hours at the foot of the cross and on my knees. I’m sure of God’s love and His saving Grace. But I’ve wondered…

Is there a share just for me?

God so loved the world… the world? Or me?

He gave His only Son… given, period? Or given to me?

God slices from the sweetness of grace and my mouth waters for a taste. I scoot up to the table, but don’t lean in because I’m not sure if I’m in the right place… if I belong. I wait politely, counting chairs and measuring slices in my mind as it comes around.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Maybe He didn’t prepare enough for me. I understand… it’s my fault… I should have figured…

Just as my muscles tighten to stand and leave, a perfectly sliced portion is set before me. I look up to see how it’s so and notice that the amount of sweetness never changes with each cut. It’s sliced and sliced but there’s always more.

I bow my head, careful not to draw attention to myself, and eat quickly. A party crasher never truly gets to relax, but at least she gets to eat for free…

And then I notice it. My name. It’s on a place card, a welcome banner, and a gift. He was waiting for me all along. I was invited, prepared for, and wanted.

And that share? It was made just for me.

Lean in, friend. Look. Your name is there, too.

11 thoughts on “Share

1. Julie Lefebure January 22, 2015 / 9:58 pm

Karen, this may be the most beautiful piece I’ve read today. Pure, authentic, lovely. I especially loved, “I lean in, rest my elbows on the table, and look up. He’s smiling at me and it feels so great to be an expected guest.” Warms my heart, friend. You’re a blessing, as always. Thanks for sharing who you are! Much love.

• Karen Brown January 22, 2015 / 10:21 pm

Julie- thank you so much for those kind words. You are a blessing, too!

2. karrileea January 22, 2015 / 11:17 pm

Ah yes… that! An expected guest! One who is welcomed in and who has been waited for! Love this!

3. Verona January 23, 2015 / 12:43 am

I love the unique way you’ve expressed God’s love. It’s sometimes hard to comprehend that God is there for only us and at the same time He is taking care of many!

4. Sandrax January 23, 2015 / 9:50 am

All are welcomed!! Thank you Karen for your inspiring words!!

5. lynndmorrissey January 23, 2015 / 11:27 am

Lovely, Karen, and this reminds me that when the Israelites gather manna daily it was just enough. And in fact, if they gathered too much it would rot. I need to re-read Exodus, but I think that that had to do with gathering too much or hoarding for a Sabbath. I need my Bible! (Boy, don’t I!). But the point is, as your beautiful piece suggests, we do have just the amount He chooses to give us, and it is always enough….realy more than enough.

• Karen Brown January 23, 2015 / 11:30 am

Thanks Lynn- I truly appreciate your encouraging words. Yes- it reminds me of trusting Him- that His portion is enough, and that it’s for each of us personally as well as corporately. Peace, friend~

6. Jeanne Takenaka January 23, 2015 / 12:47 pm

Oh Karen, how this post resonates with me. You’ve written it so beautifully. I’ve defintely been the one sitting at the table, thinking it might be better to be invisible just in case . . . Only to have Jesus affirm that yes, I belong there. And even more I belong to Him. He shares of his lavish love unreservedly, doesn’t He?

Thanks for the vivid reminder that He anticipates time with us. 🙂

7. zippiknits January 26, 2015 / 3:46 pm

Amazing writing. It was a true joy to read your thought pictures shared with us. Thank you! FMF visitor.

8. Marisa January 26, 2015 / 10:35 pm

I love this! I think we all wonder at times if God really wants us and the truth is HE DOES! I could go into so much personal stuff about this but I won’t let’s just say you speak directly to my heart dear friend!