Good

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write for five minutes, freely, on a one-word prompt. We write quickly, then post, a flash-mob linking together
at Kate Motaung’s siteIt’s fun!
This week’s prompt: GOOD

My husband came home and asked, “How was your day?”

My mind flashed to the tantrums, spilled cereal, dog vomit, and leaking dishwasher. But I heard my mouth say, “Good. It was a good day.”

“Great!” He said, and walked away to change out of work clothes.

A good day? I thought. I surprised myself with my answer, but it was actually true. How?

I thought about how I prayed for patience during the tantrums and kept my cool.

I remembered imagining God cleaning the cereal off the floor with me – and suddenly it was funny. My kids kept asking me what was funny… which made it funnier.

I prayed before cleaning up the dog’s mess – and only gagged twice.

And the dishwasher made me cry, but not too hard…and without bitterness. Then, I told the kids stories about how I liked washing dishes at my grandma’s house when I was a girl, because it made me feel like one of the women.

It was a good day, but not because of anything visible. It was an invisible goodness, a hidden treasure.

Not because of the circumstances, that’s for sure, but because of a sinner’s obedience – because of God’s work in me.

It’s called Good Friday because of perfect obedience – because of God’s finished work.

Despite the injustice, whipping, thorns, nails, darkness, and death…it was good – underneath it all. Beyond the pain and death.

An invisible goodness for those who knew the power of spilled blood.

A hidden treasure for those who grieved on that day with the hope of resurrection.

Hope on a dark hill.

It was that same goodness on a Good Tuesday, many years ago.

I discovered that same hidden treasure in my tiny, battle-worn house.

Hope in a dirty house. In a sinful heart.

Goodness comes every day because of a Good King who robed Himself in humility.

Because of His spilled blood.

Because of a Great Love.

How was your day?

And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” Luke 23:43

12 thoughts on “Good

1. mghollis38 April 2, 2015 / 10:17 pm

🙂 My day was good too. 🙂 Thanks for the perspective.
    Hugs,
    Melinda

2. KatieReid April 2, 2015 / 10:31 pm

Hi Friend! So glad to see you face over on the FMF lineup. Miss you and as always love reading your poetic heart-poured words.

3. Anita Ojeda April 2, 2015 / 11:12 pm

My dad was GOOD! And mostly because of the invisible work of the Savior in my life :).

4. betsydecruz April 3, 2015 / 7:03 am

Yes, I’m having a GOOD day! And I had a GOOD week! (Even though we had power and water cuts two days and my son’s dream of attending a fancy university ended when he was denied admission.) It’s all good because of God. 🙂

5. Rachel Quigley April 3, 2015 / 7:48 am

My day has been good! Thank you! And dog vomit makes me gag also! It’s just awful… but then again what vomit good?

I love this line: “It was a good day, but not because of anything visible. It was an invisible goodness, a hidden treasure.” He is an amazing treasure who brings good things to our lives! Thanks for sharing these words!

6. joanneviola April 3, 2015 / 7:51 am

My day has been good too & thank you for asking. But more so, thank you for giving perspective >>> “An invisible goodness; a hidden treasure; hope”. All because of His shed blood & His great love. May you have a blessed Easter!

7. amypboyd April 3, 2015 / 9:29 am

My day was good too. I am learning to see each day that I am given breath to good.

8. Jeanne Takenaka April 3, 2015 / 9:31 am

Karen, I loved this post. Your perspective on what makes a “good” day is convicting. I need to take some lessons from you. 🙂

And this? “It’s called Good Friday because of perfect obedience – because of God’s finished work.” spoke to my heart. Thanks for giving me good mind-food to meditate on as I head into the weekend.

9. Tara April 3, 2015 / 11:07 am

Visiting from FMF where we are neighbors. I needed to read your post today. Earlier this week my car battery died. And I was frustrated. But your post is a good reminder that life is good and more importantly that God is good!!

10. tammysincerity April 3, 2015 / 6:10 pm

Karen,
    I wanted to laugh imagining God cleaning up messes. Messes are not easy for me-especially an entire cup of milk just poured. We have cat vomit rather than dog, but quite often when seasons change and the shedding begins.
    Truly? There was such joy beaming through your post that I couldn’t see anything but God all over your day, and He really is good! Thank you for such delight in your trials. You were able to re-joice (that’s a joy-choice) instead of resent.
    Thank you also for visiting me at FMF. So wonderful to meet talented sisters all over through this simple five minute exercise!
    Love,
    Tammy (sincerity and hope)

11. graceglimmers April 5, 2015 / 4:24 am

ok we wives and moms rock! we do have “good days” thanks be to God above…I can so relate to the authenticity here. we are obedient, pray, and go through so much in a day! Well done! Happy Easter! It is a GOOD day! Jenn , FMF friend