Rise

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is RISE.

8bc72ed7
Photo Source

When the morning alarm sounds, sometimes I think I’d seriously sell my soul to just stay under the covers.

Where it’s warm, dark, and quiet. Where I don’t have to face the demands of the day. Where I can block out the pressure, the stress. Where life can’t reach me and I can just be.

My eyes won’t open. My body can’t move. Every fiber in my being protests the harshing of my mellow.

I’m not getting up, I say.

I clutch my pillow in an effort to cling to the night a little longer.

Then, a beam of light starts to shift across the room and I hear stirring across the hall. She’s up early. I think to myself. And then I realize she’s probably nervous about that history test. I hope she remembers what she reviewed last night and I wonder if her favorite sweater is clean.

I feel my husband roll over and listen to his breathing for a while. Dear God, please bless his meeting today.

Ham and egg sandwich. That’s what I should make him for breakfast.

Something pulls my feet out from under the covers and I reach for my robe. Somehow, I rise to meet the day.

Every morning, it’s the same. If it were up to me, I’d sleep. But love shakes me awake and sounds its own alarm. Love calls me to action and into life.

And every morning tells the story of my soul. The darkness promised comfort and rest. The night offered more of what I already had. More of what I thought I wanted.

But love called me to open my eyes and live.

Love called me out of a dead sleep.

Love woke me…

…so others my know Him.

Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you. Ephesians 5:14

What will you do in the morning? When the light breaks and love sounds the alarm? Rise up, o you sleeper! Awake!

20 thoughts on “Rise

1. Kate Motaung May 21, 2015 / 9:35 pm

Wow, girl, this is profound! Maybe one of my favorite posts of yours! (Oh wait, I love every post ..) 😉 Seriously thought-provoking. Thank you.

• Karen Brown May 21, 2015 / 10:54 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean so much coming from you.

2. Katy May 21, 2015 / 9:55 pm

“Love woke me…so others may know Him” Such beautiful truth!

3. tammysincerity May 21, 2015 / 10:18 pm

Thank you for sharing this! What a gift to think of love being the reason we rise. Such an illustration of Jesus!
    He, with love, laid down knowing He would rise again and it was all for others. He too, wanted it easy, but was so willing to lay himself aside.

So, without knowing it, you are like Jesus.
    (visiting from FMF at #10 this week)
    ~Tammy

• Karen Brown May 21, 2015 / 11:01 pm

Amen! Thanks for those encouraging words, Tammy!

4. Anita Ojeda May 21, 2015 / 10:25 pm

Ah, “love makes me rise”–it’s like that for mommies, isn’t it?! Even when they’re 21 ;).

• Karen Brown May 21, 2015 / 11:00 pm

Yes- You and I know that well, don’t we, friend. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Tara May 21, 2015 / 10:49 pm

Loved this post! Love does call us to action doesnt it?!? Also that Ephesians text…so much goodness. I was looking for a picture to make an image for my post and came across the coolest pic with that text on the website Creation Swap.

• Karen Brown May 21, 2015 / 11:00 pm

Yes- I love that text too! Thanks, for stopping by, Tara!

6. Jeanne Takenaka May 21, 2015 / 11:38 pm

Karen, what a beautiful post! This line: “But love shakes me awake and sounds its own alarm. Love calls me to action and into life.” It speaks to me. We have a choice of whether or not we’ll answer that call. Love is always a call worth heeding. May I be willing to give up what I already have in the darkness to give and share life with others in the light.

Just beautiful!

7. betsydecruz May 22, 2015 / 2:47 am

Oh Karen! This is so beautiful and inspiring! Love gets us up out of bed and moving when we’d rather keep sleeping (or keep resting or keep reading.) Such a motivating post!

8. Debby May 22, 2015 / 6:54 am

Beautiful, Karen. A good thought adjustment for me to recognize that love wakes me. There is no better motivation. Thank you!

9. Marie May 22, 2015 / 4:45 pm

Karen, this is beautiful. Just absolutely beautiful. “Love woke me up…” I’m actually shaking my head because I’m so touched by this!

10. Ruthie Gray May 22, 2015 / 8:03 pm

“And every morning tells the story of my soul. The darkness promised comfort and rest. The night offered more of what I already had. More of what I thought I wanted.” Lovely words, full of truth. I too am a lover of darkness and covers. UGH! Every. Single. Morning. I love the verse in Ephesians you referenced as well, so very fitting. Thank you.

11. Lynette May 22, 2015 / 9:47 pm

I, too, love to linger in the bed as long as I possibly can. I think it’s just easier to sleep and dream than deal with life sometimes. Beautiful post.

12. Barbie May 23, 2015 / 1:57 pm

“Love woke me”. This is beautiful. Have a blessed weekend.