Try

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is TRY.
photo-1434210330765-8a00109fc773

That moment when you are trying your hardest…

To find peace in the chaos.

To love someone so unlovely.

To be joyful for someone else who has it all.

I’m trying, God, but this “Christian thing” just doesn’t work. It’s impossible and you are going to have to just move on to someone else. I just don’t have what it takes…

That moment when you finally stop all the trying…

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

If the fruits of His spirit are the desires of our heart, our heartache will remain.

If God alone is our heart’s true desire, peace, love, and joy will abound.

The thing about being a Christian is that we forget that it is impossible, we’ll never have what it takes, and God did move on to someone else…

CrossAtSunset

But it’s because of Someone else that we won’t die trying…

If we try and fail, we’ve shown the world courage. If we try and succeed, we’ve shown the world success.

But if we humbly reveal His power in our weakness, we’ll show the world the Author of Grace.

18 thoughts on “Try

1. Jeanne Takenaka July 30, 2015 / 10:36 pm

Karen, I loved this post. There are times when I want to give up on “this Christian thing.” Not as many moments as I used to have, but they still come from time to time. Thank goodness Jesus is my strength when I’m oh, so weak.

And your last line? Yah, that spoke to me. My desire is to show the world the Author of Grace. Now to live like He’s truly the Author of my story.

2. Tara July 30, 2015 / 10:39 pm

Amen!!! So much truth in that 2 Corinthians verse! And love this: “But it’s because of Someone else that we won’t die trying…” YES!!

3. Elizabeth Meyers July 30, 2015 / 10:51 pm

So true. I often see my weakness as a sign of my own shortfall rather than an opportunity to give glory to the Author of Grace. Thanks for reminding me that my weakness really points to His strength.

4. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser July 30, 2015 / 11:50 pm

Beautifully said. There was a time when I was giving up on the Christian Thing by default…but in dying, that which I have learned has saved me.

And I didn’t even have to try. Well, not very hard. He met me more than halfway.

5. denise July 31, 2015 / 1:00 am

wow, this is an amazing post.

6. Leah Colwell Adams July 31, 2015 / 5:37 am

Oh Karen, such truth…and spoken in such a beautiful way. It truly is impossible to live the Christian life in our own strength. Only in Christ can we live His life. Stopping in from FMF.

7. Ruthie Gray July 31, 2015 / 7:14 am

AMEN on that last sentence. YES!!!! (Loved it all, but especially the last.)

8. Debby July 31, 2015 / 7:21 am

“The thing about being a Christian is that we forget that it is impossible, we’ll never have what it takes, and God did move on to someone else…” words I’m going to share with others, Karen. Wonderful post (as usual). Thank you

9. Martha G. Brady July 31, 2015 / 9:34 am

i love your post karen! i wrote on a totally different track! it wasn’t me in many ways, but i needed to hear what was in my head on this topic. i love all the other posts that were written on quite different tracks tho’. so true. it is impossible without jesus!

10. Rachel Quigley July 31, 2015 / 10:57 am

Love that… “It’s because of someone else that we don’t die trying!” Good stuff! Thanks for these encouraging words! Happy Friday to you! (Stopping by from FMF)

11. Ruth July 31, 2015 / 1:23 pm

Hi Karen, thanks for your thoughts this week… grace, grace and more grace is shining out of so many FMF posts today… Thank God for his grace!

12. Mary Geisen July 31, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Amen to these words right here “But if we humbly reveal His power in our weakness, we’ll show the world the Author of Grace.” Beautiful words! God certainly blessed your words tonight.

13. tammysincerity July 31, 2015 / 9:49 pm

Karen!
    Oh, you touched my heart. God moved on to someone else. But He had to. And it’s done. And we don’t have to try so hard. Ahhhhhh. That’s the sound of the burden falling off of “Christian” in Pilgrim’s Progress.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. “I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum…”
    Love,
    Tammy (#4 this week)
    And thanks for the visit!!!

Liked by 2 people

14. Sharon O August 3, 2015 / 11:39 am

wonderful writing. so much to think on… and read again.

15. dawnlizjones August 6, 2015 / 5:15 pm

wow. Why do I have such a hard time with this? I would love to understand what you mean by “If the fruits of His spirit are the desires of our heart, our heartache will remain.” ??

• Karen Brown August 6, 2015 / 5:22 pm

Dawn- Thanks for stopping by and for asking. I mean, when my goal is to have patience, love, or kindness – I will never have them. But if the desire of my heart is intimacy with Christ, much fruit will be a byproduct of that relationship. However, I often fail when my focus is on being patient, or loving, or kind – instead of focusing on abiding in Him. Does that help? Thanks for reading…

16. Ifeoma Samuel August 20, 2015 / 1:34 pm

Beautiful Karen. If we try and succeed we have showed the world success.
    Great friend
    Enjoy the rest of your day.
    God bless you