Give Me A Word… Any Word

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is: CHOOSE YOUR OWN!

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 8.33.16 AM

“Choose your own word”, she tweeted. “Just pick any word and write about it for five minutes.”

Choose my own? Seriously? A list of words starts running through my mind but I’m paralyzed. What if I choose a word that’s boring, empty, or cliche’? I try cheering myself on.. Come on! Think of a word… any word…

My mind goes to a scene in the movie My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding where Gus (the dad) demonstrates his national pride by explaining to Toula (the daughter) and her friends how he can connect a word, ANY word back to a Greek root. Watch the short clip below:

Gus is a genius at making connections:  “Kimono” to Greek root for winter “cheimonas” to “what do you wear in the winter?”  to “robe, of course” to “A kimono is a kind of robe“, to “what do you wear in the winter? A robe.. A kimono!”

So, there you go.

It doesn’t matter how far removed the word is, Gus can somehow make the connections and bring it back to the Greek; right where he wants it.

I’m thinking about Gus’ gift of connecting as I look at our Christmas tree. It’s branches are filled with ornaments that speak hundreds of our family’s words. My eyes follow the branches and the memories to the top and rest on the Star.

12310421_1043830055637147_1962819410596240875_n

And just like Gus, I start to make the connection.

It doesn’t matter what word I choose or where I start. God loves to use whatever I give Him to bring me to where He wants…

Go ahead, Karen. Give me your word – ANY word – and I’ll show you how I can weave it into my story. Don’t worry about where it’s been or what you think it means, I can strip that all away until your word speaks my language of love.”

It’s the perfect time of year to showcase God’s ability to deliver all things back to His Word.

When a crib becomes our mercy seat

When judgement becomes Emmanuel

When hopelessness becomes eternal joy

So Kate, you couldn’t have chosen a better prompt to illustrate Christmas. There will be hundreds of words representing as many lives and stories. And our Father will somehow bring us all back to the root.

“In that day the root of Jesse, who shall stand as a signal for the peoples—of him shall the nations inquire, and his resting place shall be glorious.” Isaiah 11:10

Lift your eyes to the Star, child. Your Dad always has the last word.

So… there you go.

8 thoughts on “Give Me A Word… Any Word

1. Rachel Quigley December 18, 2015 / 9:33 am

That’s awesome! I was in the same place! “What??? …. pick my own word!!!!” I count on Kate to make my life easier by picking a word for me and now I have to think of one myself!” Too funny how we get in our routine and then a monkey wrench blows it all to pieces! 🙂

I also enjoy that movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I have a friend who does the same thing but with songs. She can come up with any song for any situation. It is quite the hoot! I have a great story about one that I’ll have to share some day in blog post… I’ll put it on the calendar for next year! 🙂
    thanks for the inspiration and Merry Christmas to you! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. Christina Hubbard December 18, 2015 / 9:40 am

What a fantastic train of thought you followed. God can make His Word shine from anything, any word, any situation (even tough mornings.) Thank you for this epic amazing reminder;) Put My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 on your calendar for 2016. Can’t wait for it to come out! Love these lines, BTW “When a crib becomes our mercy seat

When Holiness becomes Emmanuel

When hopelessness becomes eternal joy”

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Merry Christmas!!!

3. Tara December 18, 2015 / 10:36 am

Back to the root….oh yes! The Greek of a word so often is very interesting to learn. I need to watch my Big Fat Greek Wedding again…it’s been awhile. I loved your blog post title that’s exactly what I tweeted out yesterday! I’m over in the #15 spot today.

4. Jeanne Takenaka December 18, 2015 / 11:39 am

Such a great post, Karen! When Kate said there was a surprise coming last night, I guessed it would be a pick my own prompt . . . and I cringed in dread. 🙂 I love where you went with yours. And the reminder that God can take anything we give Him (words and otherwise) and weave them into His story. Such a beautiful thought to take with me into the last week before Christmas.

I hope your CHRISTmas is special, Karen!

5. Julie Lefebure December 18, 2015 / 5:07 pm

Karen, this is priceless. I love where you took this! And how you ended it… Dad has the final word. Bless you, friend! Merry Christmas!

6. Anita Ojeda December 18, 2015 / 5:34 pm

Amen. I’m so glad that I don’t have the final word! And I’m so glad that the crib became the mercy seat. I’m always standing in the need of mercy!

7. Michele Morin December 19, 2015 / 7:02 am

This is so encouraging. No matter where we begin, the place where we find life and hope is at the foot of the cross. May this be our focus as we celebrate Jesus!

8. Holly Barrett December 20, 2015 / 10:37 am

Fabulous post, Karen!! And isn’t that what God does each week as we write on Kate’s prompt and He weaves some part of His story in each of our posts. Love that we can find Him anywhere, anytime, and in anything. Merry Christmas to you!