Path

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is:  PATH

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

It stresses me out to imagine my life as a path. To think that God has a specific lane for me and it’s my job to stay between the lines. Or I won’t end up in the right place. Or a wrong turn will ruin everything.

If it’s up to me to stay on the path, I’ll be lost for sure.

Because I’m directionally challenged. My trip-record shows more times lost than the former St. Louis Rams.

I also overthink everything. When going to an unfamiliar place, I question the GPS, my memory, and every road-sign. I double-back and double-over in teary frustration more often than an Olympic gymnast.

And I’ve been known to be impatient and even foolish at times. I switch lanes when things are too slow and rage when someone cuts me off. Even more than a politician.

And to be honest, I live a lot of my life with white-knuckles and a heavy brake. Blowing my horn in protest of it all…

I forget life isn’t really a path – it’s a Person.

When I’m in Christ… looking to Him, deep in His word, and enjoying His presence, I’m not lost. Even when I panic and double-back. Even if I end up in a ditch. In Christ, I’ll get there.

When He’s the path, I AM there. Even more than I know.

Anyone want to hop in?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

photo credit: Grant Porter

7 thoughts on “Path

1. Joanne Viola (@JViola79) September 2, 2016 / 7:47 am

Karen, I am directionally challenged as well which is why I rely heavily on my GPS 🙂 Truth be known, I even use it when I “think” I know where I am going! It’s true. I laugh as I comment, she has never steered me wrong. But more so, neither has my God. I am so grateful He knows where He is leading me and knows just how to get me there. I am glad I stopped here this morning! Blessings!

• Karen Brown September 2, 2016 / 7:50 am

Thank you, Joanne! Yes, Praise God for His Faithfulness! Thanks for stopping by!

2. Michele Morin September 2, 2016 / 8:44 am

OH! Joining in on the “directionally challenged club”! Getting lost for me is just a way of life, but I’m thankful for the amazing truth that the walk on this narrow way is not about coordinates on a map or the number of right and left turns after the third mailbox.

3. Jeanne Takenaka September 2, 2016 / 11:26 am

Oh, Karen. I love your take on this word. You’re so right. Jesus is the path. I don’t have to try and stay on the path. I don’t have to be uber-careful to make sure I’m going the right direction. When my eyes are on Him, when I’m walking with Him, I’m right where I need to be. Thank you for this beautiful reminder!

And, would you think me crazy? When we move to a new city (haven’t done this in 8 years), I try new routes, I try getting lost to learn shortcuts. Okay. I am crazy. 😉

• Karen Brown September 5, 2016 / 3:01 am

Not crazy- sounds perfectly normal to me! Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving some encouragement. Much appreciated!

4. Lesley September 2, 2016 / 2:28 pm

Great post! I am definitely directionally challenged as well. I love that it’s not all about us having to stay on the path but that Jesus is the path and that we can trust him to guide and direct us.