Still

Each week, we write for five minutes, freely, on a one-word prompt. We write quickly, then post, a flash-mob linking together at Kate Motaung’s site. It’s fun!
This week’s prompt:  STILL

Photo Source
Last week, my daughter came home from school frustrated. There had been a substitute teacher in one of her classes, and evidently this one was pretty high-strung and hopped up on fear… understandable for middle-school. My daughter reported that the sub was demanding silence during a time when the students are “always  allowed to work together” (my daughter’s version). One of the boys in the back of the class responded by mumbling, “Oh, boy” and the teacher thought he said something about ebola
This apparently caused one of her stretched nerves to snap. My daughter reported that she went on a four-minute (middle schoolers seem to time everything their teachers do) rant about how ebola is a “no joking matter”… how “you kids think everything’s funny”… how it’s a very serious disease and people are dying from it… how we need to be hoping for a cure or it just might “sweep across our country” too…
I’m told the class just stared at her, open-mouthed, then finally the same nerve-snapping student said, “Ummm… actually, I said, “Oh boy”.
The teacher pursed her lips (my daughter does an impression) and spit out a terse, “Well… still.”
End of conversation. The students went back to work. Silently. Because who can argue with that?
We laughed at the miscommunication and at the teacher’s response. But when I think about it… I just might pocket it into my own arsenal. Those simple words just might be quite an effective defense at times.
Like when I’m faced with the world’s chaos and I’m so rattled and unable to think clearly, I’ll pull out my simplest weapon: “Well, still.” Still, my God is on the throne. Still, this world does not have the final say.

And when the enemy’s cunning lies are in rapid-fire mode and I’m not sure what’s true anymore … I’ll just snap out the easiest response: ” Well, still.” Still, my God is with me and He IS the truth. Still, no matter I don’t have the right words, I know Who does. Who is.
And when I’m surrounded by my own failure and embarrassed, all I need to say is “Well, still.” Still, I don’t have to cower in shame. Still, I am valuable. Still, I am loved. Still, I can have expectations and hope.

Hmmmm… even “lame subs” can sometimes be the best teachers, still.

15 thoughts on “Still

1. Leah @ Point Ministries November 14, 2014 / 11:45 am

Mmmm, 'still, my God is one the throne.' Sweet mercy, what a balm to the soul traveling through this tough, tough world. Beautiful post, Karen. Thank you for the reminder. #FMFparty

2. Rachel Quigley November 14, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Ha, ha, ha…this made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the great story about being still and calming down! 🙂

3. Les November 14, 2014 / 3:33 pm

Great post! As a teacher, it is always amusing to hear the “sub stories” from my students once I return. And oh how right you are…Still, I am valuable…Still, I am loved! Too often we forget and forget to tell our daughters. Thanks for the reminder!

4. Jennifer Frisbie November 14, 2014 / 3:34 pm

Wow, Karen – I just loved this. I got so engrossed in the story and being horrified at this woman's response that I didn't even see where you were going with this. But now I have to just smile and agree. “Well, still!” – will be my response, as well. Haha!! I just loved it! (and I hope that poor woman gets some rest. Or perhaps take a little bit of a substitute teaching sabbatical).

5. Jeanne Takenaka November 14, 2014 / 5:45 pm

Great post, and great point, Karen. Well, still. This may well become my mantra. 🙂 Even when I fall short, Still God can redeem my messes, fix my mistakes, cover my sins. Still God is able to do more than I can ask or think.

I was a sub, and I remember those hard days when my last nerve was stepped on. Only in that case, it was first graders. 😉

6. Amy November 15, 2014 / 1:39 am

At first I giggled a little at the teacher's misunderstanding because I could picture myself making the same mistake but then when you said Well Still my God my thoughts turned with you. I realized how often I allow fear even misunderstood fear take over me instead of trusting in my God. Thanks for the reminder to always stay calm and focus on Him.

7. Karen Brown November 15, 2014 / 11:55 am

Amy- Yes- a funny scene for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

8. Karen Brown November 15, 2014 / 11:56 am

Jeanne- Yes. Still, all is well with my soul. And first graders are different, but tricky too! Thanks for reading!

9. Karen Brown November 15, 2014 / 11:57 am

Yes- I think she might need a break.:) Don't we all… Thanks for stopping by!

10. Karen Brown November 15, 2014 / 11:58 am

Leah- Amen! Sweet mercy indeed! Thank you!

11. Lisa November 15, 2014 / 1:29 pm

Wow…didn't see that coming! Great job and great truth. Thanks for sharing.

12. Carmen Horne November 17, 2014 / 1:59 am

I loved that you had me laughing in the beginning and then later have me thankful that God “still” has the last say. Thanks! #fmfparty friend