Dear Humility

Each week, we write for five minutes, freely, on a one-word prompt. We write quickly, then post, a flash-mob linking together at Kate Motaung’s site. It’s fun!
This week’s prompt: DEAR

Photo Source

Dear Humility,

Should we break up? We’re not clicking lately.

You’re like a savory smelling soup, but as soon as I lift a spoonful to my mouth, you go bland.

You’re an inviting heat, but as soon as I try to draw near, you go cold.

You’re like a rhythm. As soon as I try to copy your beat, you go silent.

I’m starting to think you and I weren’t meant for each other.

You’re made of generosity and charity; I’m selfish and greedy.

You’re unassuming and patient; I’m critical and edgy.

You are beautiful. Deep down, I’m grotesque.

Yet, I still feel your pursuit, and I’m flattered.

I see others with you, so I draw near and observe.

Those who have you who are full from a feast. They have warmth from a rich robe that covers, and they tell me it was a gift. They sound a beautiful song, of which the rhythm is key, but hardly noticed.

So, it’s not you. It’s me. I’m distracted…

…and you’re not the one for me after all.

I realize that you are always meant as a result of a deep relationship with my true Pursuer. I was never meant to enjoy you without the One who gives all.

He’s the One for me.

But we can still be friends,

Karen

10 thoughts on “Dear Humility

1. Debby December 5, 2014 / 1:26 pm

Lucky me for you to be the one before my post in 5-minute Friday. Truth is I always enjoying reading your words Karen and this is no exception. Seems we have the same relationship with humility. Thanks for your careful words and open heart.

2. Susan Shipe December 5, 2014 / 2:47 pm

Returning the visit from FMF – this letter? Can I sign my name at the bottom too? xo

3. Summer Floyd December 5, 2014 / 3:01 pm

i love this. I have someone in my life who is always hailing humility. And it honestly comes off that they are extremely proud. Proud about being humble and interested in telling everyone else how humble they need to be. I found this three years ago and love it, “The moment I try to grasp for humility, she's gone. Speak of humility, shine a light shaft on it, and she's shadow-gone in the dark….The quiet song of gratitude…lures humility out of the shadows because to receive a gift the knees must bend humble and the hand must lie vulnerably open and the will must bow to accept whatever the Giver chooses to give.” 1000 Gifts, pg. 171,172. I loved that description and thats the point you are arriving at too. Humility just like any fruit of the Spirit of God only comes from a relationship with God. It's not an end in of itself. It's a byproduct when grace ravishes us.

4. Tara Ulrich December 5, 2014 / 3:17 pm

Beautiful post, Karen. I have been guilty of feeling this way too.

5. Amy December 5, 2014 / 3:47 pm

Oh I think I could have written this letter myself. Beautiful words.

6. Simply Beth December 5, 2014 / 5:02 pm

I love how 5 minutes of writing can be so profound. This was wonderful, Karen.

7. blestbutstrest December 5, 2014 / 6:22 pm

This is amazing and beautiful. It's so easy to think that we 'have humility' when in reality it's just false pride. You are so right…the true Pursuer of our souls is the one that cloaks us with real humility.

8. Carol Bovee December 5, 2014 / 11:24 pm

Karen this is truly beautiful, thought provoking and inspiring. Best of post of the day for me! 🙂

9. BARBIE December 6, 2014 / 6:36 am

Oh yes, yes. This letter is me too! Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart in 5 minutes!