The Woman in Tears

Photo Source
Well, you wonder why I always choke up and cry
At the scene with Mary holding the baby sent to die,
And why do my tears seem to be more than usual ones?
‘Cause mothers were never meant to lose their daughters or sons.

I cry for the mothers in all the stories I read,
For the confused, fearful, ill-prepared ones like me.
I cry for the ones who’ve been given more than they can hold,
But are bearing it anyway, gripping; pretending to control.

I cry for the mothers who I love and know,
For the ones who are in places they didn’t want to go.
I cry for these sisters, holding it in ’til the day is done,
When they can cry in a pillow with the setting sun.

Some days, we manage to keep it all together
With happy kids and offering some answers.
But when the dam breaks and life sings a bitter song,
We’re reminded our plans don’t fit; our expectations all wrong.

I cry for mothers who’ve had to watch their babies die,
For the ones whose souls are wrung out and dry.
I cry for the mom whose kid is vulnerable and accused;
Who’s weary and beaten down; bullied and bruised.

And I cry for the thousands of mothers left stunned
When their babies were robbed, raped, or even gunned.
I cry for the millions more whose dreams shattered apart,
Leaving them with empty homes and worse, broken hearts.

Well, there are things that we just can’t fix, I know,
So mothers need mothers everywhere we go.
But one mother who suffered more than her due
Bore the King of Kings who will make all things new.

I’d love to hug Mary, who is every mother in so many ways:
Favor with God, but learning to nurse alone in the hay.
I’d cry with her, then share the good news she couldn’t tell.
Then we’d wipe away our tears and worship Emmanuel.

24 thoughts on “The Woman in Tears

1. blestbutstrest December 15, 2014 / 6:54 pm

This is beautiful, Karen! There are so many hurting mamas out there. Here's a hug from me to you! <>

2. Angie December 15, 2014 / 7:49 pm

“But when the dam breaks and life sings a bitter song,
    We're reminded that our plans don't fit; our expectations all wrong.”

Your poem was beauty in so many lines, but this one was the one that hit me the most.

My expectations are not always God's best for me. And that could mean the expectations for my kids, my marriage, my writing, my family, my work, my dreams…

Yet, He is in control!

And from one Mama to another…XO this season to you! : )

Thanks for linking up to Inspire Me Monday and I look forward to connecting even more!

3. Carol Bovee December 15, 2014 / 8:59 pm

This is wonderful! Absolutely wonderful. I can't even think of the words I need…thank you for this!

4. christan perona December 16, 2014 / 12:33 pm

Yes, this is beautiful… “Favor with God, but learning to nurse alone in the hay.” You're poetry is always so deep and forces me to reflect – even during this very busy time. With each year, I'm learning that the true meaning of Christmas is more satisfying than the way we've defined “Christmas” the past century. With each year, our hollow traditions and commercialism seem more and more empty. I sound like a pessimist or a “bah humbug”, but I choose to view it that I'm learning I was made for a different world. Come, Lord Jesus. Truly, come Lord Jesus into this mess and give us perspective.

5. Abigail McDonald December 16, 2014 / 2:09 pm

I love this, Karen. Such a beautiful poem. We mothers feel deep, don't we? I ache for all of these moms too, and I'm so grateful that one day God will wipe away every tear. Much love to you during this season when we remember the One who gave it all.

6. kelly balarie December 16, 2014 / 4:05 pm

This is gorgeous. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing this. I sent it along to another mother who needs these words. I am cheering on your amazing work as praise our King.

7. Meredith Bernard December 17, 2014 / 2:32 pm

I do love your poetry…and your soul, Karen. This is a fragrant offering this morning to mothers everywhere and a beautiful reminder of how much we mothers love and risk losing…and how every ounce we pour out is worth it. Love you!

8. Bethany Boring December 17, 2014 / 3:14 pm

Oh my goodness…this is AWESOME!!! We need to connect friend! I write poetry as well. Maybe we should start an occasional poetry blog link-up?

9. Kristin Taylor December 17, 2014 / 3:58 pm

Beautiful, Karen! I really love Mary and know I can learn so much from her. Thanks for sharing this at #ThreeWordWednesday.

10. Dawn December 17, 2014 / 4:11 pm

BeAuTiFuL!!!! This is heart touching beautiful. I am so glad I stopped and absorbed your heart here. Thank you! One of my favorite poems, ever.

11. Lisa notes... December 17, 2014 / 4:50 pm

Wow. This is so beautiful. Mothers do endure so many things, all because of love. I often wonder what Mary thought of all she was going through. One day we'll be able to ask her and find out. Thanks for sharing this thoughtful poetry, Karen.

12. susieteramura December 18, 2014 / 2:44 am

This is so beautiful and touched my heart! Thank you for this- it felt like you were coming along side of me and lifting me up by your understanding of my broken heart- Thank you for this beautiful poem-

13. Karen Brown December 18, 2014 / 1:06 pm

Thank you for your kind words. It means so much to know that it encouraged you.

14. Karen Brown December 18, 2014 / 1:06 pm

Dawn- I'm so glad you stopped by, too! And I'm grateful for your encouragement.

15. Karen Brown December 18, 2014 / 1:08 pm

I'm praying that God will use it to bless all mothers who need it this season. Thanks for your kind words.

16. Karen Brown December 18, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Abigail- I long for that day when our tears will be wiped away. Peace to you, Abigail!

17. Karen Brown December 18, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Angie- Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your encouraging words. Peace to you!

18. strainme December 18, 2014 / 6:06 pm

Sweet tribute to Mary! She really is every mother and had to watch her Son endure so much. I can't imagine.