My Mom is a Teacher

IMG_0967

In her kitchen, I didn’t learn much about cooking, but discovered the importance of fun over fussiness.

In her family room, I didn’t learn much about parlor etiquette, but fell in love with family.

In her dressing room, I didn’t learn how to purse my lips or or paint my face, but learned to keep smiling at the girl in the mirror.

In her bedroom, I didn’t learn about linen counts or dust ruffles, but was schooled on the dangers of gossip and the way to have a friend is to be one.

In her car, I didn’t learn how to drive on the highway or parallel park, but noticed it was more fun to laugh at my mistakes than cry.

At her parties, I didn’t learn about crystal or polished silver, but had many lessons on how to plan well, include everyone, and have fun.

At her work, I didn’t learn how to climb the ladder of success, but learned the joy of using God’s gifts for His glory.

At her table, I didn’t learn politics or world views, but became skilled in carrying a conversation and telling a good story.

At her church, I didn’t learn guilt or shame, but fell in love with tradition, liturgy, and Jesus.

At her side, I didn’t feel “in the way” or a burden, but learned how to work hard and rest well.

So, you can see, my mom is a gifted teacher. And I had the privilege of being one of her students.

I’m still learning from her every day…

Through her grandmothering, she is teaching me how important it is to be current, healthy, and available.

Through her marriage, she is teaching me how important it is to play and be friends with my husband.

Through her faith, she is teaching me how important it is to be humble, repentant, and faithful.

Through her hobbies, she is teaching me how important it is to keep learning and growing.

She’s a big personality. With a big legacy. Sometimes, I’m afraid that I can’t be the mother for my own kids that she is for me. I worry that I won’t measure up…

But then I remember one more lesson:

With her motherhood, she didn’t train me to become HER, but always expected me to become the best version of ME. Because that’s how the best teachers make their students feel. I know my sister would agree... She taught us that daughters aren’t for measuring. They are for treasuring.

Thank you, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day! I love you!

Her children rise up and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women have done excellently,
    but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Give her of the fruit of her hands,
    and let her works praise her in the gates

Proverbs 31: 28-31

18 thoughts on “My Mom is a Teacher

1. Mary Geisen May 5, 2015 / 8:47 am

I love everything about this! What a beautiful tribute to your mom and at the same time what a beautiful reminder for all of us of the lessons we have learned from our own moms. Blessed to be visiting you from #RaRalinkup.

• Karen Brown May 5, 2015 / 8:52 am

Mary- Thank you so much! My mom is a beautiful person and this was a blessing to write. Thanks for stopping by!

2. Annie Rim May 5, 2015 / 9:22 am

How beautiful, Karen! I feel like I need to print this out and remember it as I navigate these waters of motherhood… Such important lessons, and I’m positive your own kids could write the same about you.

• Karen Brown May 5, 2015 / 9:27 am

Annie- Thank you. The waters of Motherhood are tough to navigate. As long as we keep the important things important (like my mom did)- we will stay afloat. Thanks for stopping by!

3. samcitty May 5, 2015 / 10:52 am

Such a great post about your mom. Reminds me of the lessons that my mom taught me through our every day life. Great to visit you from #RaRaLinkup

4. kristine May 5, 2015 / 8:03 pm

Wow! Wonderful lessons from your sweet mom. Thank you for sharing them with us:) Visiting from the link up today. Blessings to you and your mom!

5. Dawn Boyer May 6, 2015 / 10:43 am

Such a beautiful picture of a woman after God’s own heart you have shared. I kept thinking, I want to desperately do that with my own children. I remember my mom this way, too.. always smiling, laughing, making the best of everything. She had a way, one I don’t have, of being able to do it all with a joy. I know that Jesus is the foundation of that, but she was not as open with her words as a testimony as her actions pportrayed faithfulness and love. Such a blessing to have that heritage.
    Thanks for sharing this, today.It blessed me.

• Karen Brown May 6, 2015 / 8:57 pm

Your mom sounds like she taught you much, also. It is a blessing to have such a heritage. Thanks for stopping by!

6. sandraj2015 May 6, 2015 / 2:22 pm

Your thoughts on your mom are a treasure, too.”She taught us that daughters aren’t for measuring. They are for treasuring.” Thanks!

7. Rachel Quigley May 6, 2015 / 3:19 pm

Good word! I am so thankful for my mom also being a teacher of so many good things! Thank you for sharing these words of encouragement!

8. Kristin Hill Taylor May 7, 2015 / 8:17 am

Oh, I love this! ESPECIALLY this: “With her motherhood, she didn’t train me to become HER, but always expected me to become the best version of ME.” YES! I’m so glad you linked up this lovely tribute at #ThreeWordWednesday.

9. Anita Ojeda May 7, 2015 / 12:32 pm

I love this line “Daughters aren’t for measuring, they’re for treasuring!” Amen! I want my daughters to be the best them they can be (but sometimes, it’s a long difficult process and I have to carefully separate the me from their budding personalities).

10. danisejurado May 7, 2015 / 7:48 pm

Karen! This is a beautiful post … you are blessed with a precious mom that knows the right lessons to teach about life… The ones that really matter. Such a beautiful tribute to her and the amazing gift of motherhood!

Blessings to you

DanIse

11. Kelly Balarie May 9, 2015 / 3:17 am

This is awesome Karen. This post touches the heart! I loved this line: With her motherhood, she didn’t train me to become HER, but always expected me to become the best version of ME. I want to do that with my girl. I want her to be her best self. This post inspires me. Thank you. Cheering you on from the #RaRalinkup on Purposeful Faith.