My Father’s World

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is WORLD.

9XkFhM8tRiuHXZRCKSdm_ny-2

A playground crawling with kids, blue swings, and the mommy bench.

A dark alley covered with garbage, homeless men, and the drug dealer.

This is my Father’s World.

Cowboy birthday parties with cupcakes, party favors, and innocence galore.

Teenage pool parties with suspicious minds, unjust rage, and ten steps back.

This is my Father’s World.

Seats of leadership with corruption, wealth, and unchecked power.

Hands of service with humility, sacrifice, and unbounding love.

This is my Father’s World.

My Father’s World reaches high and low, into sorrow and joy, and fights darkness with light.

My Father’s World draws beauty from mess, wholeness from what’s broken, and strength from the weakest places.

My Father’s World is not bound by what I see in my home or on the news. It’s not limited to what I feel in my heart. It’s not checked by who’s here or what’s now.

His World was yesterday and waiting. It’s tomorrow and complete. It’s today and at work.

His World is where love is the weapon against all that’s wrong and where hope moves us all forward.

This – all of this – is My Father’s World.

This is my Father’s world:
why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let the earth be glad!

17 thoughts on “My Father’s World

1. Julie Lefebure June 11, 2015 / 9:46 pm

What a gift it is to follow you at FMF, Karen! You did it again… your words took me to places I hadn’t thought of, and helped me turn my attention again to our Magnificent Father. I love your writing and your heart! May He bless you as you continue to make Him known. Much love!

• Karen Brown June 11, 2015 / 10:06 pm

Thank you, Julie. Your writing always blesses me too. Loved your post tonight. Thanks so much for stopping by and for always being so encouraging. Happy Friday, friend! 🙂

2. Marie June 11, 2015 / 9:50 pm

What a great reminder of God’s presence, here with us, whatever we face! He does have the whole world in His hands!

3. Jennifer M. Frisbie June 11, 2015 / 10:31 pm

Oh my, I just love this quote: “My Father’s World is big enough to hold the cross and small enough to fit inside one sinner’s heart.” I’m a bit of an emotional basket case tonight as I write about this prompt. And this is just absolutely perfect. Love this so!

4. tammysincerity June 11, 2015 / 10:41 pm

Wow, Karen. Your contrasts and comparisons. I couldn’t single out one that struck me as any less profound than the others! And, that is one of my favorite songs!

This is my Father’s world, Oh let me ne’er forget
    That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.

Speechless and applauding your post.

Love and hugs,
    Tammy
    P.S. Thanks for the visit and the #6 directions. 😀

• Karen Brown June 12, 2015 / 5:52 am

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Happy Friday!!

5. Tara June 11, 2015 / 11:04 pm

Karen, love love this post!! All the yeses!! My fave line is this “My Father’s World is big enough to hold the cross and small enough to fit inside one sinner’s heart.” Amen!

6. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser June 12, 2015 / 12:48 am

Okay, I’ll confess…when I started reading I thought your Dad was part of the Compton PD anti-gang unit.

Then the penny dropped. I’m not usually quite THAT slow.

beautiful post.

And I am here, and gladly so, from FMF.

• Karen Brown June 12, 2015 / 5:30 am

Andrew- Hahaha! That’s funny! Thanks for stopping by! Happy Friday!

7. Holly Barrett June 12, 2015 / 5:39 am

What a beautiful reminder of where we actually live, Karen. Your words strike a chord and remind us that what we see in the media is only one side of the story…one side of the whole picture…and that we need to remember to continue to look for the bright side too. Because God has ordained or allowed all of it. It’s up to us to point to Him in each and every situation and bring Him glory.

• Karen Brown June 12, 2015 / 5:41 am

Holly- Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy Friday!

8. Mary Geisen June 12, 2015 / 7:22 am

There is such beauty in your words, Karen! Thank you for the beautiful images that our world is the Father’s from sea to shining sea! This line here: “My Father’s World is big enough to hold the cross and small enough to fit inside one sinner’s heart.” sums it up so succinctly for me. I am thanking God that He is a big God and He is good!

9. Jeanne Takenaka June 12, 2015 / 10:49 am

Karen, what a beautfiul post. I’m so glad this is our Father’s world. I’m glad He knows each hurting heart, rejoicing spirit. Each wrong suffered and every struggle faced. And that He’s bigger than all of it. And that He loves us. SO profound!

• Karen Brown June 12, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Thank you Jeanne. You are always such a source of encouragement. Thanks for stopping by!

10. positiveadoption June 12, 2015 / 11:02 am

Karen, great reminder! God is control! And this is His world!