Fear

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is FEAR.

150617234401-03-charleston-shooting-0617-super-169
Photo Source

Come, Lord Jesus.

I’ve been hearing that a lot lately.

Bad things happen, and we want it all to end. No more violence. No more anger. No more grief.

Come, Lord Jesus.

We say it when we are afraid of things getting worse. Let’s call it a day. Let’s call it a life. Let’s cut our losses and go home.

But when things are the worst, that’s when the gospel is the most effective. That’s when we can make a difference and shine into the darkness that’s terrorizing the world.

Because fear is not our signal to come home.

Fear is evidence that the world needs more time. More time for the world to know grace, love, and repentance. With dirty, trembling hands, there is more work to be done. With humble, loving hearts, there are people to know and love.

So, when evil takes hold of a community, a man, or an empty soul, we should be the first to hold our hand up to the apocalyptic sands of time and say…

Wait, Lord Jesus. Wait.

One more day. One more opportunity. One more soul.

“The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9

16 thoughts on “Fear

1. Lynette June 18, 2015 / 9:17 pm

Oh, Karen. I am SO guilty of this. I said it out loud just today after hearing of the tragedy in Charleston. I’m gonna try harder to think of things like you are.

2. Holly Barrett June 18, 2015 / 9:23 pm

This:–> Because fear is not our signal to come home. That is so often my first response. And yes, fear should drive us to the shelter of His arms, but that doesn’t mean stopping what He’s called us to do. We still need to stand strong even when we are afraid. Reminding myself of that tonight! Thanks, Karen!

3. Mary Geisen June 18, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Wow! I second Holly with this favorite line “Because fear is not our signal to come home”. Amen! Your words are powerful and speak truth especially in light of #charleston Blessings!

4. Tara June 18, 2015 / 10:41 pm

“Fear is not our signal to come home.” Loving those words and clinging to them tightly. We are indeed not done. We still have work to do; to show more grace, more peace, more love.

5. Jeanne Takenaka June 18, 2015 / 10:50 pm

Karen, this is absolutely profound. Your thought about fear not being our signal to come home, but rather to persevere? I’d never thought about fear in that manner before. And this? “But when things are the worst, that’s when the gospel is the most effective.” So very true.

I don’t know how you do it week after week, my friend. You open my heart to new truths about the Lord. Thank you for that.

6. graceglimmers June 19, 2015 / 4:35 am

“But when things are the worst, that’s when the gospel is the most effective. That’s when we can make a difference and shine into the darkness that’s terrorizing the world.” <— Yes. This. You are a wonderful writer! So glad I hopped to the top to read a few #FMF posts. I'm down at #24. 🙂

I think that the gospel becomes so much more powerful when the light shines in the dark! I hung a cross with the words "You are the light in our darkness." in our shower…we shower in the morning when it is still dark most days. It is a reminder that He is there with us always, everyday. The showers are a daily thing, and his grace rains and REIGNS daily too! Jenn

7. Ariete Pieterse June 19, 2015 / 4:46 am

This is so beautiful and true…We want to run when we should stand and we want to hide when we should shine…Absolutely wonderful reminder to be what we are meant to be exactly where we are in this world, especially in the midst of all the ugliness and mess.

8. betsydecruz June 19, 2015 / 6:28 am

I was curious about your response to the prompt, Karen. And what a wonderful viewpoint you’ve put forth here. We need to stand against fear instead of come running home. May God increase our vision and our passion for reaching one more person. One more soul.

• Karen Brown June 19, 2015 / 6:29 am

Thanks so much, Betsy! And I think we were reading each other’s posts at the same time. I really loved yours! Happy Friday, friend!

9. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser June 19, 2015 / 8:15 am

Yes. Absolutely.

The “Come, Lord Jesus” has always had the feeling of, “Right, raise the ladder…I’m aboard!”

It’s fundamentally un-Christian, though it is understandable…but while being understandable, it’s a slap in the face to the Apostles who were martyred, just for starters.

I’m not one for slapping the Apostles around. They’ve god some BIG friends.

• Andrew Budek-Schmeisser June 19, 2015 / 8:16 am

Last sentence, meant to say, “They’ve GOT some BIG friends.”

But the Freudian slip of ‘god’ is interesting.

10. Rachel Quigley June 19, 2015 / 8:26 am

So powerful! When things are evil this world needs Him more and more! Good word! Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from fmf

11. Ruthie Gray June 19, 2015 / 9:48 am

When things are worse, that’s when the gospel is most effective. Thanks for reminding us it’s not time for fight or flight, it’s time for “go” in “gospel”. This is our cue. May we be faithful to it.

12. Katha June 19, 2015 / 12:40 pm

Wow, thank you for this! This is really profound! I definitely know it’s easy to say “Come Lord Jesus”. I agree that we shouldn’t just give in, yet I think it’s also natural to yearn for a better world to come. May we start making it come to life right now and right here.

13. Marie June 19, 2015 / 4:32 pm

What an interesting perspective! I’ve never thought about fear and the world this way. But you’re right; we need to let fear motivate us to spread the Gospel. We need to let fear prompt us to share Him with others. Our yearning for Home is right and real, but there is plenty to be done before we get there.

14. asheritah June 19, 2015 / 7:03 pm

Such great words here today. “when things are the worst, that’s when the gospel is the most effective.” That’s so true. We need the Gospel to remind us that God makes beautiful things out of what seems destroyed.