Ten Things the Church Can Learn from Quik Trip

It’s called Five Minute Friday. Each week, we write freely on a one-word prompt. Then we link up at the amazing Kate Motaung’s site. It’s a flash mob of writers- having fun and sharing their take on one word. This week’s prompt is TEN.  528f104c00ade.image A few years ago, a Quik Trip was built one block away from our house. With each visit, I’m more impressed by the way they do things. Many times, I’ve thought about what the church could learn from them …

10. Their doors swing both ways. There are no rules to make you feel stupid or an outsider. Whether you are a pusher or puller, the door will open for you.

9. QT’s are not too big, but not too small either. The layout is thoughtfully designed, so it never feels too congested or like empty space. It’s just right.

8. Just gas and snacks. That’s what they do best. Their mission is simple and focused, and they just keep getting better in their niche.

7. Simple but impactful language. Instead of saying good bye, the employees always say,  “See you next time…” I like it. It’s different. It’s memorable. Each time I leave, I feel like I’ve been seen and I’ll be missed.

6. There’s no judging. I can be looking for coffee and queso dip, or tampons and tortilla chips, and I feel no condemnation. There are all kinds of people with all kinds of needs. And in that one place, there’s community in the struggle.

5. It’s ready. It’s open when I need something, day or night, and there are always plenty of napkins, lids, straws and trash cans.

4. The workers are quiet, but everywhere. Did you ever notice that when you start heading to the check-out counter, the red shirts seem to multiply? You didn’t notice them before, and they were never trying to talk you in to buying a candy bar or more wiper fluid, but right when you need them, they are there.

3. It feels safe. There are police in the parking lot. There are video cameras and a measuring tape on the door frame. The parking lot is well-lit and the employees aren’t half-asleep or hiding in the back room. I bring my kids and even let them ride their bikes there without me.

2. So clean. The floor is constantly being mopped and the trash is never overflowing. The counters and the restrooms are spotless and shiny. It’s a pleasant place to be.

1. Donuts.

True confessions: I stole the idea for this Five Minute writing from a post my husband wrote: 4 Things We Could Learn from Apple. His article is deeper, more serious, much classier, and you should definitely read it. He’s brilliant. When the prompt “TEN” was assigned, my mind jumped here, so I went with it… and he doesn’t mind 🙂 We share a brain.

24 thoughts on “Ten Things the Church Can Learn from Quik Trip

1. mrsjjwest July 23, 2015 / 9:29 pm

Karen, I love it– especially the donuts part!

2. Mary Geisen July 23, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Love this! What a great list and connection between the church and a convenience store. The best lessons are the ones we learn in the ordinary and the ones that are close to home. Thank you for your words tonight!

3. Marie July 23, 2015 / 9:41 pm

This is cool! I especially liked number eight. I think that if we would stick to our mission, a lot of the problems would fade away.

4. Ruthie Gray July 23, 2015 / 9:45 pm

It sounds like we need a QuickTrip in West Virginia ASAP!!! I know of no stores that do this. And several churches that don’t either (and we have one on every corner ’round these parts).
    Such great points. And YES. Donuts. We do have those at our church in WV. Then again, donuts is a universal church thing, right?! 😉

5. Marisa July 23, 2015 / 10:08 pm

I am loving the lists I am seeing!! This one is so true. I haven’t been to church in many years, and while I feel like I should go back my anxiety stops me, I always worry about the dress code, not having enough knowledge, not having the same beliefs, etc… if church could be like this I wouldn’t feel so intimidated about walking in and taking a seat!! Thank you for your cute post!!

• Karen Brown July 24, 2015 / 5:58 am

Yes- there are many things that keep people out of church. And some of them are easily corrected. Thanks so much for stopping by!

6. Jeanne Takenaka July 23, 2015 / 10:28 pm

Loved this, Karen. Especially the thought of their doors swinging both ways. We should be that way, shouldn’t we? And donuts? Mmmmmm. That’s one of the things I miss most eating gluten-free. Enjoy one for me on Sunday, will ya?

7. Tara July 23, 2015 / 11:01 pm

Karen, so cool! I love your list. Oh donuts…definitely!! I’m parked in the #ten spot this week.

8. denise July 24, 2015 / 4:04 am

awesome, and so true.

9. Holly Barrett July 24, 2015 / 5:45 am

Donuts!! LOL There should always be donuts at church and I’m prayerful there will be tons of them in heaven. Great post, Karen…and very thought provoking in the humor. If all our churches were more like QT, maybe we would all visit more!

Liked by 2 people

• Karen Brown July 24, 2015 / 5:56 am

Donuts always make me love God just a bit more … 🙂 Thanks for stopping by, Holly!

10. Leah Colwell Adams July 24, 2015 / 6:16 am

What a cool post!!! My favorite thing about QT is that the restrooms are clean! I am a restroom expert because I never pass up an opportunity! Great post, Karen. Love it.

11. Rachel Quigley July 24, 2015 / 10:01 am

This is awesome! And some great insight here! Thanks for sharing it with us and I get that line about your hubby. It’s crazy how the longer we’re together the more our brains think alike! 🙂 Happy Friday to you! (Stopping by from #fmf)

12. tammysincerity July 24, 2015 / 11:12 am

Karen,
    I really liked your post. It was simple but very deep. I think “see you next time” was my favorite. Goodbye is my least favorite English phrase. There’s nothing good about it.
    And boy, if at church, we told people they were seen and they’d be missed? How about just life in general? God sees you and He misses you?
    Very good post!!
    Love,
    Tammy
    (#20 this week)

13. Martha G. Brady July 24, 2015 / 5:19 pm

interesting post! i get your general point, but question some of the specific points in terms of what the purpose of church is all about. i wish i could always feel comfortable at church too, but often the times of discomfort have helped push me in areas i need some pushing or helped me see need where i needed to see it. just an observation.

i don’t know if you have heard the saying, about its purpose being to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. i think there is a lot to it:)

Liked by 2 people

• Karen Brown July 25, 2015 / 6:36 am

Martha- Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I think we would both agree that the purpose of the church is to glorify God- so that others may know Him.

And I know we would both say that one of the main ways we can do this is proclaiming His word from the pulpit and in our lives. When a Bible-teaching church is faithful in doing this, the comfortable will be afflicted by the Holy Spirit.

Another way we can glorify God is by loving others- by welcoming them and meeting them where they are the way Christ did for us. In this way, the afflicted will be comforted.

I think Christians have gotten away from their main purpose- especially within the walls of their own churches, by creating unwelcoming and unloving sub-cultures there. Churches have hidden rules about what to wear, how to talk, what to bring, where to sit, etc… Rules that alienate visitors and do not illustrate the gospel.

Too many people have rejected God because they weren’t welcomed by the love of Christ in a building that claims His name.

I know you would agree that the gospel itself is confrontational. I pray more Christians would place their trust in it’s power alone.

I love my church and we are trying hard to improve in this area. Your church may be better at it. But in general, I think we all have much to learn …

My post was meant to be lighthearted – but my point is a heavy one: the church and it’s people are failing to point others to God when we insist on playing the role of the Holy Spirit, adding to the confrontation of the gospel, and failing to love.

I realize that you did not intend to challenge any of these points, but it is important to me to clarify thoroughly and publicly. I hope you forgive this lengthy response.

Please pray with me that those who need the Grace and Truth of the gospel will find it among Christians – in and out of churches everywhere.

Feel free to respond privately, if you prefer, by going to my “About Me” page- you can contact me via email there.

Again- thanks so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate the thoughtful discussion. Blessings~

• Martha G. Brady July 25, 2015 / 6:59 am

Your clarification shows we agree totally. My reaction is to churches you walk into that feel like you are walking into McDonalds or Starbucks and you wonder if they have forgotten why they are there.

I totally agree that we need to be very welcoming to all without a lot of inside jargon or rules that decide whether you will be “in” or not.

Io

14. Christy July 24, 2015 / 5:42 pm

doors that swing both ways, simple and impactful language and donuts! Love these

15. Valerie July 24, 2015 / 6:12 pm

I agree with Martha. While I like being comfortable and we all need comfort and acceptance, too much comfort can lead to complacence. I won’t say that I like to be challenged (because goodness, it’s painful sometimes!), but I know that I need to be challenged. I do agree with many of these though — especially the donuts 🙂 And this makes me wish we had a QuikTrip in Alabama! It reminds me of the Wawa convenience stores that are so ubiquitous in Pennsylvania where my in-laws live. I always enjoy going in their local Wawa when we are out and about up there.

• Karen Brown July 25, 2015 / 6:38 am

Valerie- Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Please see my response to Martha and join me in praying for the church and for those seeking the hope of Christ.
      And yes- every community needs a QT- 🙂